Help for Government Employees: How to Leave the Union

Help for Government Employees

Trouble leaving your union? We can help.

The Supreme Court ruling in Janus v. AFSCME means government workers cannot be required to pay union fees or dues as a condition of working in public service. Public employees are free to join a union and pay membership dues or to opt out and not fund union activities without fear of losing their job. Public employees covered by a collective bargaining agreement who previously only had a choice between being a dues-paying member or being a non-member paying agency fees now can resign from their union immediately.

Here are the steps you need to take to begin the union opt out process.

Common problems employees are facing

“Fair share fees” are still being deducted from my paycheck.

The Supreme Court ruling in the Janus decision was clear. “Fair share fees,” also known as agency fees, are unconstitutional and must cease immediately. If you work in the public sector and were a “fair share” or “agency” fee payer, then your employer should have immediately stopped deducting those fees from your paycheck as soon as the Supreme Court decision was issued on June 27, 2018. If you are still seeing fair share fees deducted from your paycheck, this is a violation the Supreme Court’s ruling and you should contact us.

I sent my letter of resignation to the union but they won’t let me out of my membership.

Some unions have specific time frames or windows for opting out of your union membership. If you have submitted all the necessary paperwork during the appropriate time and still cannot get out of your union, we can help. Contact us with the details of your situation.

How the Liberty Justice Center can help.

We fought with Mark Janus all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court to restore his First Amendment rights and the rights of millions of other government employees. We can help you exercise your right to leave the union and stop paying the union. Find out more about us

If you have problems opting out of your union, contact us.